"I hope", said Gloriana warily, "that you are not going to suggest that I marry the American minister, because I won't do it. I've been reading about the Americans in a women's magazine and they're all cruel to their wives."

"Cruel to their wives?" echoed the count.

"Precisely. They treat them as equals. They refuse to make any decisions without consulting them. They load them up with worries they should keep to themselves. And when there isn't enough money, they send them out to work instead of earning more by their own efforts.

Some of them even make their wives work so they can go to college. They are not men at all. They are men-women. And their wives are women-men. If I am to marry, I want a husband who will be a man and let me be a woman. I'll be able to handle him better that way."


— "The Mouse That Roared" by Leonard Wibberley

Comments

Truth said…
Very interesting
Anonymous said…
Hind,

I sure miss seeing you on the board. I wish you would come back!!!

Dot
Anonymous said…
A woman can still be a woman and be treated as an equal by her husband, or any other man, for that matter.

JMO.
Hindsfeet said…
Julie, you do realize that book was written in 1955? ;) And it was written by a man?

There are women out there who feel women's lib has spoiled a good thing. But to each his own.

I'm just glad I have an "old world" hubby who lets me live out my June Cleaver fantasies. ;) He'd let me work, too. Whatever makes me happy. :D I've missed you!
Katherine said…
Even though I don't post too much, I miss seeing you on the boards too...

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))
Anonymous said…
I was not aware that the excerpt came from a book written over 50 years ago. At any rate, there were both positive and negative aspects of the women's lib movement. Scripture never states that women are inferior to men. Wives are to be helpmeets to their husbands, but this does not make them lesser people. :)

One of these days I *will* come out there and visit with y'all!
Hindsfeet said…
Julie, I don't think the excerpt is insinuating that women are lesser. Does it seem that way to you?

Dot & Kathy, you two got me over there lurking. ;) ((hugs))
Anonymous said…
Yes, it does. The conclusion being implied in the passage is that treating women as equals is somehow "cruel".

On a lighter note, your WeeMee character is really cute! I made one too, but have no place to put it, as I don't have a blog these days.
Anonymous said…
But if she's going to "handle" him (which I read as "manage"), then she's not letting him be a man, right?
Hindsfeet said…
I don't know, Heidi. I always read the "handle" as "cope with"... but you could be right.

Popular posts from this blog

Why we allow God to plan our family size.

The Bennets